Saturday, September 1, 2018

Stanza 162



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Þat kann ek it sjautjánda
at mik mun seint firrask
it manunga man
ljóða þessa
mun þú Loddfáfnir
lengi vanr vera
þó sé þér góð ef þú getr
nýt ef þú nemr
þörf ef þú þiggr
I know a seventeenth:
if I sing it,
the young Girl will be slow to forsake me.
163. A seventeenth I know, | so that seldom shall go
A maiden young from me;
161.
A seventeenth I know: so that e'en the shy maiden
is slow to shun my love.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I know a Seventeenth to keep her
from shirking me for any other man.
Mind this Loddfafnir,
long will you lack it,
but it will get you good, once you learn it,
it will be useful to you when you understand it,
and needful if known.
That seventeenth I know, (if the slender maid's love
I have, and hold her to me:
this I sing to her) that she hardly will
leave me for other man's love.
I know a seventeenth, and with that spell
no maiden will forsake me.
164. For the seventeenth I know,
that that young maiden will
reluctantly avoid me.
These songs, Loddfafnir!
thou wilt long have lacked;
yet it may be good if thou understandest them,
profitable if thou learnest them.




Some editors have combined these two lines with stanza 164. Others have assumed that the gap follows the first half-line, making "so that-from me" the end of the stanza.

No comments:

Post a Comment