Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Stanza 69


Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Erat maðr alls vesall
þótt hann sé illa heill
sumr er af sonum sæll
sumr af frændum
sumr af fé œrnu
sumr af verkum vel
Not all sick men are utterly wretched:
Some are blessed with sons,
Some with friends,
some with riches,
Some with worthy works.
All wretched is no man, | though never so sick;
Some from their sons have joy,
Some win it from kinsmen, | and some from their wealth,
And some from worthy works.
Not reft of all is he who is ill,
for some are blest in their bairns,
some in their kin and some in their wealth,
and some in working well.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
A man is not entirely bereft
though his health is poor.
Some are blessed with sons, some by friends,
some by wealth and others by good works.
All undone is no one though at death's door he lie:
some with good sons are blessed,
and some with kinsmen, or with coffers full,
And some with deds well-done.
If a man's health fails he may still be happy:
some can rejoice in their sons,
some in their friends or sufficient money,
some in work well done.
Fire is best
among the sons of men,
and the sight of the sun,
if his health
a man can have,
with a life free from vice.




I can personally attest to the poor health part of this verse. In my case, I have my wife to take care of me, and good friends to lift me up spiritually when it becomes too much. A lot of modern society focuses on the Man being the breadwinner, the provider, the carer. In some instances, however, this is not possible. This verse says to me that not being these things is not the end opf the world, as I had believed when I was first diagnosed. I still have to battle time to time with the depression and dark thoughts.. but I am blessed to have a support system who cares for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment