Sunday, July 1, 2018

Stanza 116



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Ráðumk þér Loddfáfnir
en þú ráð nemir
njóta mundu ef þú nemr
þér munu góð ef þú getr
á fjalli eða firði
ef þik fara tíðir
fásktu at virði vel
If you must journey to mountains and firths,
Take food and fodder with you.
I rede thee, Loddfafnir! | and hear thou my rede,--
Profit thou hast if thou hearest,
Great thy gain if thou learnest:
If o'er mountains or gulfs | thou fain wouldst go,
Look well to thy food for the way.
115.
I counsel thee, Stray-Singer, accept my counsels,
they will be thy boon if thou obey'st them,
they will work thy weal if thou win'st them:
should thou long to fare over fell and firth
provide thee well with food.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I give you rede Loddfafnir, heed it well!
You will use it if you learn it,
it will get you good if you understand it.
If you fare veil
on fell or fjord, bring food.
hear thou, Loddfafnir, and heed it well,
learn it, 'twill lend thee strength,
follow it, 'twill further thee:
on fell or firth if to fare thee list,
furnish thee well with food.
Heed my words, Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel;
you'll be better off if you believe me,
follow my advice, and you'll fare well:
if you want to travel over fjord or mountain,
don't forget food.
118. I counsel thee, etc.
By fell or firth
if thou have to travel,
provide thee well with food




Today we continue on with the words of wisdom and advice. Being a Den Master for Cub Scouts, and having my oldest boy in Boy Scouts, we know the motto “Be Prepared” all too well.

No comments:

Post a Comment