Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Stanza 128



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Ráðumk þér Loddfáfnir
en þú ráð nemir
njóta mundu ef þú nemr
þér munu góð ef þú getr
illu feginn
verðu aldregi
en lát þér at góðu getit
Never share in the shamefully gotten,
But allow yourself what is lawful.
I rede thee, Loddfafnir! | and hear thou my rede,--
Profit thou hast if thou hearest,
Great thy gain if thou learnest:
In evil never | joy shalt thou know,
But glad the good shall make thee.
127.
I counsel thee, Stray-Singer, accept my counsels,
they will be thy boon if thou obey'st them,
they will work thy weal if thou win'st them:
rejoice not ever at tidings of ill,
but glad let thy soul be in good.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I give you rede Loddfafnir, heed it well!
You will use it, if you learn it,
and it will get you good if you understand it,
Never rejoice in evil,
but always do good.
hear thou, Loddfafnir, and heed it well,
learn it, 'twill lend thee strength,
follow it, 'twill further thee:
in ill deeds not ever share,
but be thou glad to do good.
Heed my words, Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel;
you'll be better off if you believe me,
follow my advice, and you'll fare well:
don't rejoice in evil deeds;
be glad to do good.
130. I counsel thee, etc.
Rejoiced at evil
be thou never;
but let good give thee pleasure.




Wheaton's Law is relevant here. If you do not know Wheaton's Law, it's really quite simple: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/wheatons-law

No comments:

Post a Comment