Friday, July 27, 2018

Stanza 131


Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
áðumk þér Loddfáfnir
en þú ráð nemir
njóta mundu ef þú nemr
þér munu góð ef þú getr
varan bið ek þik vera
en eigi ofvaran
ver þú við öl varastr
ok við annars konu
ok við þat it þriðja
at þjófar ne leiki
Be not over wary, but wary enough,
First, of the foaming ale,
Second, of a woman wed to another,
Third, of the tricks of thieves.
I rede thee, Loddfafnir! | and hear thou my rede,-
Profit thou hast if thou hearest,
Great thy gain if thou learnest:
I bid thee be wary, | but be not fearful;
(Beware most with ale or another's wife,
And third beware | lest a thief outwit thee.)
130.
I counsel thee, Stray-Singer, accept my counsels,
they will be thy boon if thou obey'st them,
they will work thy weal if thou win'st them:
I pray thee be wary, yet not too wary,
be wariest of all with ale,
with another's wife, and a third thing eke,
that knaves outwit thee never.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I give you rede Loddfafnir, heed it well!
You will use it, if you learn it,
and it will do you good if you understand it.
Watch yourself, but don’t be overcautious.
Be especially wary of ale
and of another man’s wife.
Thirdly, see that you are not tricked by con-men.
Hear thou, Loddfafnir, and heed it well,
learn it, 'twill lend thee strength,
follow it, 'twill further thee:
be wary of thee, but not wary o'ver much;
be most wary of ale and of other man's wife,
and eke, thirdly, lest thieves outwit thee.
Heed my words, Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel;
you'll be better off if you believe me,
follow my advice, and you'll fare well:
I bid you be careful, but don't overdo it;
watch out for ale or another man's wife,
and don't let thieves play you tricks.
133. I enjoin thee to be wary,
but not over wary;
at drinking be thou most wary,
and with another’s wife;
and thirdly,
that thieves delude thee not.




The three downfalls of Man.. too much drink, a married woman, and the tricks of the con man. The first two often go hand in hand, I've found. Don't be a drunk. Don't sleep with another mans wife. Don't let the con man con you. These are fairly straight forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment