Thursday, July 5, 2018

Stanza 118



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Ofarla bíta
ek sá einum hal
orð illrar konu;
fláráð tunga
varð honum at fjörlagi
ok þeygi um sanna sök
I saw a warrior wounded fatally
By the words of an evil woman
Her cunning tongue caused his death,
Though what she alleged was a lie.
I saw a man | who was wounded sore
By an evil woman's word;
A lying tongue | his death-blow launched,
And no word of truth there was.
117.
Wounded to death, have I seen a man
by the words of an evil woman;
a lying tongue had bereft him of life,
and all without reason of right.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I saw a man sharply bitten
by the ill words of a woman,
Her false tongue brought his death,
and her attacks were unjust.
A man i saw sorely bestead,
through a wicked woman's words;
her baleful tongue did work his bane,
though good and unguilty he was.
I saw a man stabbed so deeply
by a wicked woman's words
her deceitful tongue was death to him,
yet all she said was a lie.
120. I saw mortally
wound a man
a wicked woman’s words;
a false tongue
caused his death,
and most unrighteously.




The Christians have a saying, “The power of life and death lays in the tongue”. I know I personally have been the victim of this on several occasions. People will believe what they want to believe, even when presented with the truth, and facts to back it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment