Friday, July 13, 2018

Stanza 125



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Ráðumk þér Loddfáfnir
en þú ráð nemir
njóta mundu ef þú nemr
þér munu góð ef þú getr
þrimr orðum senna
skalattu þér við verra mann
opt inn betri bilar
þá er inn verri vegr
Bandy no speech with a bad man:
Often the better is beaten
In a word fight by the worse.
I rede thee, Loddfafnir! | and hear thou my rede,--
Profit thou hast if thou hearest,
Great thy gain if thou learnest:
With a worse man speak not | three words in dispute,
Ill fares the better oft
When the worse man wields a sword.
124.
I counsel thee, Stray-Singer, accept my counsels,
they will be thy boon if thou obey'st them,
they will work thy weal if thou win'st them:
oft the worst lays the best one low.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I give you rede Loddfafnir, heed it well!
You will use it, if you learn it,
it will do you good if you understand it.
Bandy not three words with a lesser man.
Often the better man fails
when the worse gets hostile.
Hear thou, Loddfafnir, and heed it well,
learn it, 'twill lend thee strength,
follow it, 'twill further thee:
not three words shalt with a worse man bandy;
oft the better man forbears
when the worse man wounds thee.
Heed my words, Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel;
you'll be better off if you believe me,
follow my advice, and you'll fare well:
don't offer three words to a man unworthy;
good men come to grief
when the worse make war.
127. I counsel thee, etc.
Even in three words
quarrel not with a worse man:
often the better yields,
when the worse strikes.




Bad men know how to twist words, and make things other than they are. They will do everything in their power to make you look the idiot, to prove their point or come out ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment