Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Stanza 96



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Þat ek þá reynda
er ek í reyri sat
ok vættak míns munar
hold ok hjarta
var mér in horska mær
þeygi ek hana at heldr hefik
So I learned when I sat in the reeds,
Hoping to have my desire:
Lovely was the flesh of that fair girl,
But nothing I hoped for happened.
This found I myself, | when I sat in the reeds,
And long my love awaited;
As my life the maiden | wise I loved,
Yet her I never had.
94.
This once I felt when I sat without
in the reeds, and looked for my love;
body and soul of me was that sweet maiden
yet never I won her as wife.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I found that out, when I sat in the reeds
and waited for my heart’s delight.
The heart and body of the wise maid were dear to me,
but I had not my will with her.
That saw I well when i sat in the reeds,
awaiting the maid I wooed;
more than body and soul was the sweet maid to me,
yet I worked not my will with her.
I realized as I sat among the reeds
waiting for that fair woman,
that I loved her beyond soul and body,
yet I had not my desire.
That I experienced,
when in the reeds I sat,
awaiting my delight.
Body and soul to me
was that discreet maiden:
nevertheless I posses her not.




Bellow's Note: 96. Here begins the passage (stanzas 96-102) illustrating the falseness of woman by the story of Othin's unsuccessful love affair with Billing's daughter. Of this person we know nothing beyond what is here told, but the story needs little comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment