Sunday, June 3, 2018

Stanza 100



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Svá kom ek næst
at in nýta var
vígdrótt öll um vakin
með brennandum ljósum
ok bornum viði
svá var mér vílstígr of vitaðr
After nightfall I hurried back,
But the warriors were all awake,
Lights were burning, blazing torches:
So false proved the path
So came I next | when night it was,
The warriors all were awake;
With burning lights | and waving brands
I learned my luckess way.
98.
When I came ere long the war troop bold
were watching and waking all:
with burning brands and torches borne
they showed me my sorrowful way.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
So I came the next night
and the warriors were all awake
bearing bright brands, their torches alight,
I worked not my will.
When next I came at nighttime, then,
all the warriors found I awake,
with brands high borne and burning lights;
such the luckless end of my love tryst!
All for nothing: that night she had
warriors barring the way;
they held burning torches and brandished stakes --
she had led me a merry chase.
When next I came
the bold warriors were
all awake,
with lights burning,
and bearing torches:
thus was the way to pleasure closed.




Bellow's Note: 96. Here begins the passage (stanzas 96-102) illustrating the falseness of woman by the story of Othin's unsuccessful love affair with Billing's daughter. Of this person we know nothing beyond what is here told, but the story needs little comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment