Monday, June 4, 2018

Stanza 101



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Ok nær morni
er ek var enn um kominn
þá var saldrótt um sofin
grey eitt ek þá fann
innar góðu konu
bundit beðjum á
Towards daybreak back I came
The guards were sound asleep:
I found then that the fair woman
Had tied a bitch to her bed.
At morning then, | when once more I came,
And all were sleeping still,
A dog found | in the fair one's place,
Bound there upon her bed.
99.
Yet nearer morning I went, once more, --
the housefolk slept in the hall,
but soon I found a barking dog
tied fast to that fair maid's couch
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
Near morning I went in again
when the folk were asleep.
But I found a bitch bound
to the fair maid’s bed.
Near morn when I once more did come,
The folks were sound asleep;
But a bitch found I the fair one had
Bound fast on her bed!
When the sun rose and I returned,
not a soul was stirring;
I saw only the bitch that sweet woman
had bound to the bed.
But at the approach of morn, when again I came,
The household all was sleeping;
The good damsel's dog alone
I found tied to the bed.




Bellow's Note: 96. Here begins the passage (stanzas 96-102) illustrating the falseness of woman by the story of Othin's unsuccessful love affair with Billing's daughter. Of this person we know nothing beyond what is here told, but the story needs little comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment