Saturday, June 30, 2018

Stanza 115



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Ráðumk þér Loddfáfnir
en þú ráð nemir
njóta mundu ef þú nemr
þér munu góð ef þú getr
annars konu
teygðu þér aldregi
eyrarúnu at
Never seduce anothers wife,
Never make her your mistress.
I rede thee, Loddfafnir! | and hear thou my rede,--
Profit thou hast if thou hearest,
Great thy gain if thou learnest:
Seek never to win | the wife of another,
Or long for her secret love.
114. I counsel thee, Stray-Singer, accept my counsels,
they will be thy boon if thou obey'st them,
they will work thy weal if thou win'st them:
seek not ever to draw to thyself
in love-whispering another's wife.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I give you rede Loddfafnir, heed it well!
You will use it if you learn it,
it will get you good if you understand it.
Watch that you are not lured to bed
by another’s wife.
Hear thou, Loddfafnir, and heed it well,
learn it, 'twill lend thee strength,
follow it, 'twill further thee:
beware lest the wedded wife of a man
thou lure to love with thee.
Heed my words, Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel;
you'll be better off if you believe me,
follow my advice, and you'll fare well:
never lure another man's wife
to lie with you for love.
117. I counsel thee, etc.
Another’s wife
entice thou never
to secret converse.




This is one that should be screamed from the mountain tops, these days. Simply put, if there's a ring on it, leave it alone! This goes for women as well as men.

I can't tell you how many times a woman has viewed my wedding ring as a challenge, instead of the promise it represents to my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment