Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Stanza 102



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Mörg er góð mær
ef görva kannar
hugbrigð við hali
þá ek þat reynda
er it ráðspaka
teygða ek á flærðir fljóð
háðungar hverrar
leitaði mér it horska man
ok hafða ek þess vættki vífs
Many a girl when one gets to know her
Proves to be fickle and false:
That treacherous maiden taught me a lesson,
The crafty woman covered me with shame";
That was all I got from her.
Many fair maids, | if a man but tries them,
False to a lover are found;
That did I learn | when I longed to gain
With wiles the maiden wise;
Foul scorn was my meed | from the crafty maid,
And nought from the woman I won.
100. Many a sweet maid when one knows her mind
is fickle found towards men:
I proved it well when that prudent lass
I sought to lead astray:
shrewd maid, she sought me with every insult
and I won therewith no wife.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
Many a good maid proves false hearted
when you get to know her. I found that out
when I lured the wise woman in lust.
The clever maiden had sport of me
with all manner of mockery,
and I had not my way with her.
Many a good maid, if you mark it well,
is fickle, though fair her word;
that I quickly found when the cunning maid
I lured to lecherous love;
every taunt and gibe she tried on me,
and naught I had of her.
Make no mistake -- there are many maidens
fickle and false;
I learned this truth that time I tried
to lure one to love --
she made me suffer every shame
and denied me all delight.
Many a fair maiden,
when rightly known,
towards men is fickle:
that I experienced,
when that discreet maiden I
strove to seduce:
contumely of every kind
that wily girl
heaped upon me;
nor of that damsel gained I aught.




Bellow's Note: 96. Here begins the passage (stanzas 96-102) illustrating the falseness of woman by the story of Othin's unsuccessful love affair with Billing's daughter. Of this person we know nothing beyond what is here told, but the story needs little comment. Rask adds at the beginning of this stanza two lines from a late paper manuscript, running:

"Few are so good | that false they are never
To cheat the mind of a man."

He makes these two lines plus lines I and 2 a full stanza, and line 3, 4, 5, and 6 a second stanza.




This myth is unknown outside of Havamal, 96-102. It is unknown whom exactly Billing is. It's been speculated that he is probably a giant. These stanzas are proof that the gods are not omnipotent.his is a perfect example of a humorous myth, at Odin’s expense! First, she puts him off until later (afraid of magic?) He returns, but the hall is full of warriors. “And near morning, when I came again, Then the hall company were asleep ;A bitch I found then tied on the bed; Of that good woman.” (101)

Men, how often have you encountered this sort of situation? The girl flirts, bats her lashes, coo's at you, leads you on.. only to run and hide with a devilish laugh when you pursue her?

No comments:

Post a Comment