Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Stanza 111



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Mál er at þylja
þular stóli á
Urðar brunni at
sá ek ok þagðak
sá ek ok hugðak
hlýdda ek á manna mál
of rúnar heyrða ek dœma
né um ráðum þögþu
Háva höllu at
Háva höllu í
heyrða ek segja svá
It is time to sing in the seat of the wise,
Of what at Urd's Well I saw in silence,
saw and thought on.
Long I listened to men
Runes heard spoken, (counsels revealed.)
At Har's hall, In Har's hall:
There I heard this.
It is time to chant | from the chanter's stool;
By the wells of Urth I was,
I saw and was silent, | I saw and thought,
And heard the speech of Hor.
(Of runes heard I words, | nor were counsels wanting,
At the hall of Hor,
In the hall of Hor;
Such was the speech I heard.)
I counsel thee, Stray-Singer, accept my counsels,
they will be thy boon if thou obey'st them,
they will work thy weal if thou win'st them:
rise never at nighttime, except thou art spying
or seekest a spot without.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
It is time to sing on the sage’s seat
at Urth’s well.
I saw and was silent, I watched and thought.
I heard the speech of men, I heard talk of runes.
They were not silent at council.
At Har’s hall, in Har’s hall
I heard them speak.
'Tis time to chant on the sage's chair:
at the well of Urth
I saw but said naught, I saw and thought,
(listened to Har's lore);
Of runes I heard men speak unraveling them,
at the hall of Har
in the hall of Har
and so I heard them say:
I will sing from the sage's chair
by the Norns' sacred spring;
I watched and listened, I looked and thought
about the words of the wise
when they talked of runes and what they reveal
at the High One's hall, in the High One's hall --
here is what I heard:
112. Time ‘tis to discourse
from the preacher’s chair. -
By the well of Urd
I silent sat,
I saw and meditated,
I listened to men’s words.




With this stanza begins the Loddfafnismol (stanzas 111-138). Loddfafnir is apparently a wandering singer, who, from his "chanter's stool," recites the verses which he claims to have received from Othin. Wells of Urth: cf. Voluspo, 19 and note. Urth ("the Past") is one of the three Norns. This stanza is apparently in corrupt form, and editors have tried many experiments with it, both in rejecting lines as spurious and in rear ranging the words and punctuation. It looks rather as though the first four lines formed a complete stanza, and the last four had crept in later. The phrase translated "the speech of Hor" is "Hova mol," later used as the title for the entire poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment