Monday, June 11, 2018

Stanza 105





Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Gunnlöð mér um gaf
gullnum stóli á
drykk ins dýra mjaðar
ill iðgjöld
lét ek hana eptir hafa
síns ins heila hugar
síns ins svára sefa
Rati had gnawed a narrow passage,
Chewed a channel through stone,
A path around the roads of giants:
I was like to lose my head
The mouth of Rati | made room for my passage,
And space in the stone he gnawed;
Above and below | the giants' paths lay,
So rashly I risked my head.
103.
I bored me a road there with Rati's tusk
and made room to pass through the rock;
while the ways of the Jötuns stretched over and under,
I dared my life for a draught.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
The auger bored and made me room
gnawed through stone,
over and under were
the ettin ways.
Thus I risked my head.
With an auger I there ate my way,
through the rocks I made me room!
over and under were teh etins' paths;
Thus dared I life and limb.
With a drill's teeth I cut my trail,
I gnawed right through the rock;
over and under me wound the giants' ways --
a perilous path I traveled.
107. Rati’s mouth I caused
to make a space,
and to gnaw the rock;
over and under me
were the Jötun’s ways:
thus I my head did peril.




Bellow's note: Rati ("the Traveller"): the gimlet with which Othin bored through the mountain to reach Suttung's home




Even though the way through was perilous, he risked his life just on the promise of a drink. How many times have we done this ourselves? We know the way is dangerous, but we value the reward at the end more than our own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment