Friday, June 8, 2018

Stanza 104



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Inn aldna jötum ek sótta
nú em ek aptr um kominn
fátt gat ek þegjandi þar
mörgum orðum
mælta ek í minn frama
í Suttungs sölum
Fruitless my errand, had I been silent
When I came to Suttung's courts:
With spirited words I spoke to my profit
In the hall of the aged giant.
I found the old giant, | now back have I fared,
Small gain from silence I got;
Full many a word, | my will to get,
I spoke in Suttung's hall.
102.
I sought that old Jötun, now safe am I back,
little served my silence there;
but whispering many soft speeches I won
my desire in Suttung's halls.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
The old ettin I sought, now I am back
I would have gotten little, had I been silent.
I spoke many words to work my will
in Suttung’s hall.
The old etin I sought--now I am back;
In good stead stood my my speech;
for with many words my wish i wrought
In the hall of Suttungs' sons.
I sought the old giant, and when I saw him,
little I learned keeping still:
much I received for the many words
I spoke in Suttung's hall.
104. Fimbulfambi he is called
who little has to say:
such is the nature of the simple.
*************************
105. The old Jötun I sought;
now I am come back:
little got I there by silence;
in many words
I spoke to my advantage
in Suttung’s halls.




Bellows:The giant Suttung ("the old giant") possessed the magic mead, a draught of which conferred the gift of poetry. Othin, desiring to obtain it, changed himself into a snake, bored his way through a mountain into Suttung's home, made love to the giant's daughter, Gunnloth, and by her connivance drank up all the mead. Then he flew away in the form of an eagle, leaving Gunnloth to her fate. While with Suttung he assumed the name of Bolverk ("the Evil-Doer").




Thorpe has split the last two lines of stanza 103 off into their own stanza here. I've added both 104 and 105 to keep with the continuity of the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment