Thursday, June 14, 2018

Stanza 107



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Vel keypts litar
hefi ek vel notit
fás er fróðum vant
því at Óðrerir
er nú upp kominn
á alda vés jarðar
What I won from her I have well used:
I have waxed in wisdom since I came back,
bringing to Asgard Odrerir,
the sacred draught.
The well-earned beauty | well I enjoyed,
Little the wise man lacks;
So Othrörir now | has up been brought
To the midst of the men of earth.
105.
In a wily disguise I worked my will;
little is lacking to the wise,
for the Soul-stirrer now, sweet Mead of Song,
is brought to men's earthly abode.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
Dear bought, I put it to good use.
For the wise little is lacking.
Othroerir has been brought up
to the ve of the gods.
(Of the well-bought matter) I made good use:
to the wise now little is lacking;
for Öthrærir now up is brought,
And won for the lord-of-all-wights.
From that good bargain I gained a lot,
now I've no lack of wisdom;
the magic drink, the mead of poetry,
left with the Æsir's lord.
108. Of a well-assumed form
I made good use:
few things fail the wise;
for Odhrærir
is now come up
to men’s earthly dwellings.




Othrörir: here the name of the magic mead itself, whereas in stanza 141 it is the name of the vessel containing it. Othin had no intention of bestowing any of the precious mead upon men, but as he was flying over the earth, hotly pursued by Suttung, he spilled some of it out of his mouth, and in this way mankind also won the gift of poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment