Friday, June 15, 2018

Stanza 108



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Ifi er mér á
at ek væra enn kominn
jötna görðum ór
ef ek Gunnlaðar ne nytak
innar góðu konu
þeirar er lögðumk arm yfir
Hardly would I have come home alive
From the garth of the grim troll,
Had Gunnlod not helped me, the good woman,
Who wrapped her arms around me.
Hardly, methinks, | would I home have come,
And left the giants’ land,
Had not Gunnloth helped me, | the maiden good,
Whose arms about me had been.
106.
I misdoubt me if ever again I had come
from the realms of the Jötun race,
had I not served me of Gunnlod, sweet woman,
her whom I held in mine arms.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I would hardly have come out alive
from the garth of the ettins,
had I not enjoyed the good woman Gunnloth
in whose arms I lay
Unharmed again had I hardly come
out of the etins' hall,
if Gunnloth helped not, the good maiden,
In whose loving arms I lay.
I don't believe I could have come back
from the giant's court
were it not for Gunnlod, that good woman
who lay in my arms for love.
109. ‘Tis to me doubtful
that I could have come
from the Jötun’s courts,
had not Gunnlöd aided me,
that good damsel,
over whom I laid my arm.




Bellows: Hor: Othin (“the High One”). The frost-giants, Suttung’s kinsmen, appear not to have suspected Othin of being identical with Bolverk, possibly because the oath referred to in stanza I to was an oath made by Othin to Suttung that there was no such person as Bolverk among the gods. The giants, of course, fail to get from Othin the information they seek concerning Bolverk, but Othin is keenly conscious of having violated the most sacred of oaths, that sworn on his ring.




It would seem, from this version of the tale, that Gunnlöð helped Odin willingly, and that he thought well of her in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment