Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Stanza 106



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Rata munn
létumk rúms um fá
ok um grjót gnaga
yfir ok undir
stóðumk jötna vegir
svá hætta ek höfði til
Gunnlod sat me in the golden seat,
Poured me precious mead:
Ill reward she had from me for that,
For her proud and passionate heart,
Her brooding foreboding spirit.
Gunnloth gave | on a golden stool
A drink of the marvelous mead;
A harsh reward | did I let her have
For her heroic heart,
And her spirit troubled sore
104.'Twas Gunnlod who gave me on a golden throne
a draught of the glorious mead,
but with poor reward did I pay her back
for her true and troubled heart.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
Gunnloth gave me, as I sat on her golden seat,
a drink of the dear won mead.
An evil reward I dealt her afterwards,
for her goodwill, and her heavy-heart.
Gunnloth gave me, her gold stool upon,
a draught of the dear-bought mead;
an ill reward I her after left
For her faithful friendship, for her heavy heart.
From her gilded chair Gunnlod gave me
a cup of costly mead;
an ill reward she had in return
for her quick kindness,
for her heavy heart.
Gunnlöd gave me,
on her golden seat,
a draught of the precious mead;
a bad recompense
I afterwards made her,
for her whole soul,
her fervent love.




Bellow's note: Probably either the fourth or the fifth line is a spurious addition.
Bellows:The giant Suttung ("the old giant") possessed the magic mead, a draught of which conferred the gift of poetry. Othin, desiring to obtain it, changed himself into a snake, bored his way through a mountain into Suttung's home, made love to the giant's daughter, Gunnloth, and by her connivance drank up all the mead. Then he flew away in the form of an eagle, leaving Gunnloth to her fate. While with Suttung he assumed the name of Bolverk ("the Evil-Doer").

No comments:

Post a Comment