Thursday, August 2, 2018

Stanza 135



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Ráðumk þér Loddfáfnir
en þú ráð nemir
njóta mundu ef þú nemr
þér munu góð ef þú getr
gest þú ne geyja
né á grind hrekir
get þú váluðum vel
Scoff not at guests nor to the gate chase them,
But relieve the lonely and wretched,
I rede thee, Loddfafnir! | and hear thou my rede,--
Profit thou hast if thou hearest,
Great thy gain if thou learnest:
Curse not thy guest, | nor show him thy gate,
Deal well with a man in want.
134.
I counsel thee, Stray-Singer, accept my counsels,
they will be thy boon if thou obey'st them,
they will work thy weal if thou win'st them:
growl not at guests, nor drive them from the gate
but show thyself gentle to the poor.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I give you rede Loddfafnir, heed it well!
You will use it, if you learn it,
it will get you good if you understand it.
Do not abuse a guest, or drive him out the door.
Instead, do well for the wretched.
Hear thou, Loddfafnir, and heed it well,
learn it, 'twill lend thee strength,
follow it, 'twill further thee:
beshrew not the stranger, nor show him the door,
but rather do good to the wretched.
Heed my words, Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel;
you'll be better off if you believe me,
follow my advice, and you'll fare well:
don't scoff at a guest or urge him toward the gate;
be good to beggars!
137. I counsel thee, etc.
Rail not at a guest,
nor from thy gate thrust him;
treat well the indigent;
they will speak well of thee.




This stanza comments again on our need to offer hospitality to those less fortunate, and those on the road. Do not turn away the vagabond, as it might just be Odin himself! Many of the old fairy tales have that ugly shriveled witch looking for generosity at the door, only to be turned away by the “hero”, which calls down all sorts of curses and mayhem.

No comments:

Post a Comment