Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Stanza 152



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Þat kann ek it sjaunda
ef ek sé hávan loga
sal um sessmögum
brennrat svá breitt
at ek honum bjargigak
þann kann ek galdr at gala
I know a seventh:
If I see the hall
Ablaze around my bench mates,
Though hot the flames, they shall feel nothing,
If I choose to chant the spell.
153. A seventh I know, | if I see in flames
The hall o'er my comrades' heads;
It burns not so wide | that I will not quench it,
I know that song to sing.
151.
A seventh I know: if I see a hall
high o'er the bench-mates blazing,
flame it ne'er so fiercely I still can save it, --
I know how to sing that song.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I know a seventh. If I see
a fire high on the hall
around my bench companions,
I can help them by singing the spell.
That seventh I know, if o'er sleepers' heads
I behold a hall on fire:
however bright the blaze I can beat it down--
that mighty spell I can speak.
I know a seventh: if I see flames
high around a hall,
no matter how far the fire has spread
my spell can stop it.
154. For the seventh I know,
if a lofty house I see
blaze o’er its inmates,
so furiously it shall not burn
that I cannot save it.
That song I can sing.




In today's fire-wrought landscape that is America, how cool would this spell be?

No comments:

Post a Comment