Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Stanza 148



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Þat kann ek it þriðja
ef mér verðr þörf mikil
hapts við mína heiptmögu
eggjar ek deyfi
minna andskota
bítat þeim vápn né velir
I know a third: in the thick of battle,
If my need be great enough,
It will blunt the edges of enemy swords,
Their weapons will make no wounds.
149. A third I know, | if great is my need
Of fetters to hold my foe;
Blunt do I make | mine enemy's blade,
Nor bites his sword or staff.
147.
A third I know: if sore need should come
of a spell to stay my foes;
when I sing that song, which shall blunt their swords,
nor their weapons nor staves can wound.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I know a third for the event
that I should be in dire need of fettering a foe.
I can dull the blades of my attackers
so that they can strike by neither weapon or wile.
That third I know, if my need be great
to fetter a foeman fell:
I can dull the swords of deadly foes,
that nor wiles nor weapons avail.
I know a third if I should need
to fetter any foe;
it blunts the edge of my enemy's sword,
neither wiles nor weapons work.
150. For the third I know,
if I have great need
to restrain my foes,
the weapons’ edge I deaden:
of my adversaries
nor arms nor wiles harm aught.




How many have chosen this particular thought, in all the wars of all of history? “My cause is just, I will SURELY win!” Unfortunately, this is not always the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment