Sunday, August 19, 2018

Stanza 151



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Þat kann ek it sétta
ef mik særir þegn
á rótum rams viðar
ok þann hal
er mik heipta kveðr
þann eta mein heldr en mik
I know a sixth:
it will save me if a man
Cut runes on a sapling' s Roots
With intent to harm; it turns the spell;
The hater is harmed, not me.
152. A sixth I know, | if harm one seeks
With a sapling's roots to send me;
The hero himself | who wreaks his hate
Shall taste the ill ere I.
150.
A sixth I know: when some thane would harm me
in runes on a moist tree's root,
on his head alone shall light the ills
of the curse that he called upon mine.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I know a sixth. If some thane attacks me,
with the wood of a young root,
he who says he hates me will get hurt,
but I will be unharmed.
that sixth I know, if me someone wounds
with runes on gnarled root written,
or rouses my wrath by reckless speech:
him blights shall blast, not me.
I know a sixth: if someone would harm me
by writing runes on a tree root,
the man who wished I would come to woe
will meet misfortune, not I.
153. For the sixth I know,
if one wounds me
with a green tree’s roots;
also if a man
declares hatred to me,
harm shall consume them sooner than me.




The sending of a root with runes written thereon was an excellent way of causing death. So died the Icelandic hero Grettir the Strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment