Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Stanza 158



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Þat kann ek it þrettánda
ef ek skal þegn ungan
verpa vatni á
munat hann falla
þótt hann í fólk komi
hnígra sá halr fyr hjörum
I know a thirteenth
if I throw a cup Of water over a warrior,
He shall not fall in the fiercest battle,
Nor sink beneath the sword,
A thirteenth I know, | if a thane full young
With water I sprinkle well;
He shall not fall, | though he fares mid the host,
Nor sink beneath the swords.
157.
A thirteenth I know: if the new-born son
of a warrior I sprinkle with water,
that youth will not fail when he fares to war,
never slain shall he bow before sword.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I know a thirteenth: If I sprinkle a young thane
with water, he will not fall,
though he goes to battle.
He will not be cut down by swords.
That thirteenth I know if a thane's son I shall
wet with holy water:
never will he fall, though the fray be hot,
nor sink down, wounded by sword.
I know a thirteenth: if I pour water
over a youth,
he will not fall in any fight,
swords will not slay him.
160. For the thirteenth I know,
if on a young man
I sprinkle water,
he shall not fall,
though he into battle come:
that man shall not sink before swords.




The sprinkling of a child with water was an established custom long before Christianity brought its conception of baptism.

No comments:

Post a Comment