Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Stanza 141



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Þá nam ek frævask
ok fróðr vera
ok vaxa ok vel hafask
orð mér af orði
orðs leitaði
verk mér af verki
verks leitaði
Waxed and throve well;
Word from word gave words to me,
Deed from deed gave deeds to me,
142. Then began I to thrive, | and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on | to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
140.
Ere long I bare fruit, and throve full well,
I grew and waxed in wisdom;
word following word, I found me words,
deed following deed, I wrought deeds.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
Then I began to grow
and waxed well in wisdom.
One word led me to another,
one work led me to another.
Then began I to grow and gain in insight,
to wax eke in wisdom:
One verse led on to another verse,
one poem led on to the other poem.
Thus I learned the secret lore,
prospered and waxed in wisdom;
I won words from the words I sought,
verses multiplied where I sought verse.
143. Then I began to bear fruit,
and to know many things,
to grow and well thrive:
word by word
I sought out words,
fact by fact
I sought out facts




Drinking the mead opened his mind to learn. For eons, medicine man and magic users have used psychotropic substances to unlock their minds and open themselves to knowledge. The Norse gods were no different.

No comments:

Post a Comment