Monday, August 6, 2018

Stanza 139



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Við hleifi mik sældu
né við hornigi
nýsta ek niðr
nam ek upp rúnar
œpandi nam
fell ek aptr þaðan
They gave me no bread,
They gave me no mead,
I looked down;
with a loud cry
I took up runes;
from that tree I fell.
140. None made me happy | with loaf or horn,
And there below I looked;
I took up the runes, | shrieking I took them,
And forthwith back I fell.
138.
None refreshed me ever with food or drink,
I peered right down in the deep;
crying aloud I lifted the Runes
then back I fell from thence.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
They dealt me no bread, nor drinking horn.
I looked down, I drew up the runes,
screaming I took them up,
and fell back from there.
Neither horn they upheld nor handed me bread;
I looked below me--aloud I cried--
caught up the runes, caught them up wailing,
thence to the ground fell again.
They brought me no bread, no horn to drink from,
I gazed toward the ground.
Crying aloud, I caught up runes;
finally I fell.
140. I know that I hung,
on a wind-rocked tree,
nine whole nights,
with a spear wounded,
and to Odin offered,
myself to myself;
on that tree,
of which no one knows
from what root it springs.




The discovery of the runes, made possible by his sacrifices. What might you discover with your sacrifices?

No comments:

Post a Comment