Wednesday, August 22, 2018

stanza 153



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Þat kann ek it átta
er öllum er
nytsamligt at nema
hvars hatr vex
með hildings sonum
þat má ek bœta brátt
I know an eighth:
that all are glad of,
Most useful to men:
If hate fester in the heart of a warrior,
It will soon calm and cure him.
154. An eighth I know, | that is to all
Of greatest good to learn;
When hatred grows | among heroes' sons,
I soon can set it right.
152.
An eighth I know: which all can sing
for their weal if they learn it well;
where hate shall wax 'mid the warrior sons,
I can calm it soon with that song.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I know an eighth. It is useful
for all who know it,
Whenever hatred flares up among warriors’ sons,
I am able to quell it.
That eighth I know which to all men is
needful, and good to know:
when hatred runs high, heroes among,
their strife i can settle full soon.
I know an eighth which no one on earth
could fail to find useful:
when hatred waxes among warriors
the spell will soothe them.
155. For the eighth I know,
what to all is
useful to learn:
where hatred grows
among the sons of men -
that I can quickly assuage.




How many wars could we end with this power?

No comments:

Post a Comment