Friday, August 24, 2018

Stanza 155



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Þat kann ek it tíunda
ef ek sé túnriðir
leika lopti á
ek svá vinnk
at þeir villir fara
sinna heimhama
sinna heimhuga
I know a tenth:
if troublesome ghosts
Ride the rafters aloft,
I can work it so they wander astray,
Unable to find their forms,
Unable to find their homes.
156. A tenth I know, | what time I see
House-riders flying on high;
So can I work | that wildly they go,
Showing their true shapes,
Hence to their own homes.
154.
A tenth I know: when at night the witches
ride and sport in the air,
such spells I weave that they wander home
out of skins and wits bewildered.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I know a tenth. If I see ghost-riders
sporting in the sky, I can work it
that the wild ones fare away.
So their shapes (ham) shall fare home,
so their spirits fare home.
That tenth I know, if night-hags sporting
I scan aloft in the sky:
I scare them with spells so they scatter abroad,
heedless of their hides,
heedless of their haunts.
I know a tenth: any time I see
witches sailing the sky
the spell I sing sends them off their course;
when they lose their skins
they fail to find their homes.
157. For the tenth I know,
if I see troll-wives
sporting in air,
I can so operate
that they will forsake
their own forms,
and their own minds.




House-riders: witches, who ride by night on the roofs of houses, generally in the form of wild beasts. Possibly one of the last two lines is spurious.

No comments:

Post a Comment