Friday, August 17, 2018

Stanza 150




Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Þat kann ek it fimmta
ef ek sé af fári skotinn
flein í fólki vaða
flýgra hann svá stinnt
at ek stöðvigak
ef ek hann sjónum of sék
I know a fifth: no flying arrow,
Aimed to bring harm to men,
Flies too fast for my fingers to catch it
And hold it in mid-air.
152. A fifth I know, | if I see from afar
An arrow fly 'gainst the folk;
It flies not so swift | that I stop it not,
If ever my eyes behold it.
149.
A fifth I know: when I see, by foes shot,
speeding a shaft through the host,
flies it never so strongly I still can stay it,
if I get but a glimpse of its flight.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I know a fifth. If a foe shoots a shaft
into the host, it cannot fly
so fast that I cannot stop it,
if I catch sight of it.
That fifth I know, if from foemans's hand
I see a spear sped into throng,
never so fast it flies but its flight I can stay,
once my eye lights on it.
I know a fifth: in battle's fury
if someone flings a spear,
it speeds not so fast but that I can stop it --
I have only to see it.
152. For the fifth I know,
I see a shot from a hostile hand,
a shaft flying amid the host,
so swift it cannot fly
that I cannot arrest it,
if only I get sight of it.




Shaolin monk, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment