Thursday, August 16, 2018

Stanza 149



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Þat kann ek it fjórða
ef mér fyrðar bera
bönd at bóglimum
svá ek gel
at ek ganga má
sprettr mér af fótum fjöturr
en af höndum hapt
I know a fourth:
it will free me quickly
If foes should bind me fast
With strong chains, a chant that makes Fetters spring from the feet,
Bonds burst from the hands.
150. A fourth I know, | if men shall fasten
Bonds on my bended legs;
So great is the charm | that forth I may go,
The fetters spring from my feet,
Broken the bonds from my hands.
148.
A fourth I know: if men make fast
in chains the joints of my limbs,
when I sing that song which shall set me free,
spring the fetters from hands and feet.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I know a fourth,
so that if bonds bind my limbs,
I can get free.
Fetters spring from my feet,
and bonds from my hands.
that fourth I know, if foemen have
fettered me hand and foot:
I chant a charm the chains to break,
so the fetters fly off my feet,
and off my hands the halter.
I know a fourth: if I should find myself
fettered hand and foot,
I shout the spell that sets me free,
bonds break from my feet,
nothing holds my hands.
151. For the forth I know,
if men place
bonds on my limbs,
I so sing
that I can walk;
the fetter starts from my feet,
and the manacle from my hands




Wouldn't that be a cool spell to know?

No comments:

Post a Comment