Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Stanza 147



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Þat kann ek annat
er þurfu ýta synir
þeir er vilja læknar lifa
I know a second that the sons of men
Must learn who wish to be leeches.
A second I know, | that men shall need
Who leechcraft long to use;
146.
A second I know, which the son of men
must sing, who would heal the sick.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I know another that is needed by the sons of men,
who want to be leeches.
That other I know which all will need
who leeches list to be:
(on the bark scratch them of bole in the woods
whose boughs bend to the east).
I know another which all men need
who hope to be healers.
149. For the second I know,
what the sons of men require,
who will as leeches live.

***********************
***********************
***********************




Straight foreward and simple, this one. If you want to be a healer, you have to learn first.

No comments:

Post a Comment