Thursday, August 23, 2018

Stanza 154



Original Old Norse: Auden & Taylor: Bellows: Bray:
Þat kann ek it níunda
ef mik nauðr um stendr
at bjarga fari mínu á floti
vind ek kyrri
vági á
ok svæfik allan sæ
I know a ninth:
when need I have
To shelter my ship on the flood,
The wind it calms, the waves it smoothes
And puts the sea to sleep,
155. A ninth I know, | if need there comes
To shelter my ship on the flood;
The wind I calm | upon the waves,
And the sea I put to sleep.
153.
A ninth I know: when need befalls me
to save my vessel afloat,
I hush the wind on the stormy wave,
and soothe all the sea to rest.
Chisholm: Hollander: Terry: Thorpe:
I know a ninth. If need arises,
to save my ship on the flood,
I can still the wind, and calm the waves,
put the entire sea to sleep.
That ninth I know: if need there be
to guard a ship in a gale,
the wind I can calm, and the waves also,
and wholly soothe the sea.
I know a ninth: if I ever need
to save my ship in a storm,
it will quiet the wind and calm the waves,
soothing the sea.
156. For the ninth I know,
if I stand in need
my bark on the water to save,
I can the wind
on the waves allay,
and the sea lull.




How many lives could have been saved if we had this knowledge today?

No comments:

Post a Comment